The L.A. BraceTM is a new bracing technology, hence few scientific studies have yet to be done. However, The L.A. BraceTM is an advanced rigid bracing system, hence in addition to The L.A. BraceTM studies, we can assume The L.A. BraceTM will perform at least as well as the best other published rigid bracing systems, while having the additional benefits of more consistency and being a lower profile brace. In particular the Cheneau brace studies have the greatest relevance being of similar design principles as The LA BraceTM.
1. Unpublished – 2003 Review of New CADCAM Bracing System.
“A preliminary study of 15 patient prescribed and fitted with The L.A. BraceTM in the San Fernando Valley presented an average in-brace correction of 50%.”
2. Kessler J Efficacy of a new computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacture orthoses in the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Ped Orthop B 2008;17:207-211
“40 patients with an average scoliosis of 31.1 degrees were fitted with The L.A. BraceTM and demonstrated 50% average in-brace correction.”
3. Bowman G The LA Brace – Description and Discussion.Physical Therapy Theory and Practice. 2011;27(1):68-73
4a. Unpublished – 2007 Review of 10 patients transferred from other brace system to L.A. BraceTM. Patient Questionnaire
|L.A. BraceTM||Other TLSO||No Difference|
|Which brace was more comfortable ?||6||2||1|
|Which brace was less bulky and easier to disguise in your clothing ?||9||0||0|
|Which was easier to put on ?||5||3||1|
|Which brace did you prefer ?||6||2||1|
There are several different designs of LA Brace (see Brace Information page), but for most designs, The LA Brace is relatively easy to disguise with the right type of clothing.
5. Weiss HR: SpineCor vs. natural history – explanation of the results obtained using a simple biomechanical model. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:133-6.
6. Weiss HR, Weiss GM: Brace treatment during pubertal growth spurt in girls with idiopathic scoliosis (IS): a prospective trial comparing two different concepts Pediatr Rehabil. 2005;8(3):199-206.
7. Weiss HR, Werkmann M, Stephan C: Correction effects of the ScoliOlogiC “Cheneau light” brace in patients with scoliosis Scoliosis. 2007; Jan 26;2:2
8. Hopf C, Heine J: Long-term results of the conservative treatment of scoliosis using the Cheneau brace. Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 1985;123:312-22
Scoliosis Brace Outcomes Comparison
Successful treatment is considered the prevention of curve progression of 6 degrees or greater. The percentage probability of success for different bracing systems is reported in scientific journals as follows:
1. Bunnell WP 1986 The natural history of idiopathic scoliosis before skeletal maturity. Spine 11:773-776.
2. Coillard C, Vachon V 2007 Effectiveness of the Spine-Cor Brace Based on the New Standardized Criteria Proposed by the Scoliosis Research Society for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. J Ped Orthop 27:375-379.
3. Kessler J 2008 Efficacy of a new computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacture orthoses in the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Ped Orthop B17:207-211.
4. Emans JB, Kaelin A, Bancel P, Hall JE, Miller ME 1986 The Boston bracing system for idiopathic scoliosis. Spine 11:792-801.